Financial Requirements

International students are required by the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to show adequate proof of their ability to support themselves and any family members they wish to accompany them during their studies in the United States. Each institution of higher learning is required to have on file proof of the student's ability to pay. However, many international students are able to secure part-time on-campus student employment positions. It is illegal for international students to work off-campus without prior authorization. Although F-1 students may be permitted to work on campus, F-2 spouses are strictly prohibited from accepting employment in the United States. The university cannot and will not assume financial responsibility for international students.

To satisfy the financial requirements, applicants must complete and submit the financial affidavit of support with their application form. If an applicant is self-sponsored or family-sponsored, he or she must submit a letter from their sponsor confirming his or her intention to provide support, and an official bank statement or a letter from the sponsor’s employer, translated into U.S. dollars, showing sufficient funds to support the applicant’s first year of study.

If an applicant is sponsored by a government, agency, or organization, he or she must submit an official award letter addressed to Youngstown State University. The letter must state in U.S. dollars the amount awarded annually and provide complete billing instructions.

Students may submit a scanned copy of signed Affidavit of Financial Support Form and original Bank Statements, however, students must bring their original Bank Statements to the International Programs Office for verification upon arrival.

Normally, applicants will need documentation to prove to the U.S. consulate officials that they have sufficient funds and should retain official copies of all financial documents for this purpose. Students from certain countries may encounter difficulties when transferring funds from their country to the United States; therefore, it is important for students to be familiar with home government money exchange regulations to ensure the necessary funds are available at the beginning of each quarter and at regular intervals throughout their stay in the United States. Students should plan to bring enough money to the United States to cover initial university fees and living costs.

YSU will NOT issue a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS2019) without evidence of sufficient financial support.

Download the Affidavit Support Form Below

Please open the corresponding link below and download the form.

YSU Affidavit Support Form for Undergraduate Study*

YSU Affidavit Support Form for Graduate Study*

YSU Affidavit Support Form for ELI Program*

YSU Affidavit Support Form for Visiting/Exchange Students*