Readmission of Former Students

Former Undergraduate Students:

Any person who has previously been admitted into an undergraduate degree program at Youngstown State University but has not maintained continuous enrollment for three or more consecutive terms is regarded as a former student. Such a student who has not attended another accredited college during his/her time away from YSU must complete an application for readmission to Youngstown State University via the Penguin Service Center. There is no application fee. Upon receipt of your application, you will be contacted by email or U.S. mail regarding the status of your application.

After readmission to the University returning students should meet with an academic advisor before registering for classes.  You may register for classes during the registration by appointment period or open registration, depending upon when your application is received. Registration should be completed on the web, using the Penguin Portal

To Apply in Person:  You may go to the Penguin Service Center, 2nd Floor, Meshel Hall to request that your academic file be reactivated and to file an application for readmission. Please bring photo identification with you.

To Apply by Mail/Fax:  You can apply for readmission by using the YSU Readmission Request Form*. Please download and save the blank form to your laptop/computer before completing the information. The form must be completed, signed and mailed/faxed to the address/number listed on the form. You may call the Record's Office at (330) 941-3182, to verify that the application was received by our office.

To Apply Online: You can submit a readmission application online by using this link. You are required to submit your YSU ID number (Y00XXXXXX) or the last four digits of your social security number.  

If you have attended another accredited college during his/her time away from YSU, you should apply as a former transfer student through the Office of Admissions; they can be reached at (330) 941-2000.

Former Graduate Students:

If you are a former degree-seeking graduate student, and it has been three or more consecutive semesters since you registered for a YSU course, you should contact the College of Graduate Studies  at (330) 941-3091, to reactivate your record.