Non-Degree Admission


What is non-degree admission?

Non-degree status provides an opportunity for individuals who hold a baccalaureate or higher degree to enroll in graduate classes for professional or personal development, personal enrichment, or to explore the possibility of entering a graduate degree program. Departments may require prior approval for non-degree student registration in departmental courses.

Status as a non-degree student is not an admission to a College of Graduate Studies Degree or Graduate Certificate Program. Non-degree applicants must meet all requirements for admission to the College of Graduate Studies (minimum unrecalculated GPA of 2.7 at the undergraduate level, baccalaureate degree, and submission of all academic transcripts). Non-degree students must complete a non-degree application for graduate studies, which indicates their academic area of choice. Non-degree students are required to pay the regular application fee. If a non-degree student decides to seek admission to a graduate program, no further application fees will be assessed, but all required credentials for the program must be submitted.

Non-degree students are ineligible for any financial aid or assistantships through the College of Graduate Studies. Non-degree students may seek advisement from the chairperson or program director in the academic area in which they have been permitted to take courses. A maximum of 9 semester hours taken as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree program if accepted by the department in which he/she wishes to earn a degree, and if the department’s recommendation is approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies and Research. This transfer limit may not be appealed.


Please complete an online application for admission. Students are required to pay the application fee by credit card or electronic check.

Apply Now

Submit your transcripts

Applicants must send one transcript from each college or university attended, except YSU, to the College of Graduate Studies. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the College of Graduate Studies. Students should request transcripts appropriate for graduate admissions. Personal or unofficial transcripts issued to the student or those delivered or sent by the applicant instead of the institution will not be accepted.

Study Abroad Credit and Transcripts-Original transcripts from the institution where study abroad courses were completed are not required when the number of credits is less than 21 semester hours and the credits have been accepted and are indicated on the official transcript of a regionally accredited college or university.

Applications for admission cannot be reviewed until official transcripts of all previous college or university work are received. The applicant must see that these reach the College of Graduate Studies at the earliest possible date. Omission of information required on the application form will necessitate requests for the additional information and therefore delay processing of the application, so the applicant should provide all requested information in the first submission of materials. As soon as possible after receipt of application materials, the Graduate Dean will notify the student of the action taken on the application and, if the student has been admitted, will provide information on registration procedures.