Inviting Extended Family and Friends to the U.S.

Inviting Extended Family and Friends to the U.S.

Many students wish to invite family and friends* for a short visit to the United States. The B-2 visitor visa is a good choice for visits of 6 months or fewer in duration or for family members who do not qualify for an F-2 dependent visa. As a student, you can provide supporting documents for the B-2 visa application. Comprehensive information on applying for a B-2 visa can be found on the website of the U.S. Embassy where the visa application will be made.

Letter of Invitation

To facilitate the process of applying for a B-2 visitor visa, you may write a letter of invitation for the visit. The letter must be written by you and should include:

  • The purpose and length of the visit
  • Your relationship to the individual(s)
  • A statement of your status in the U.S.
  • Itinerary details

It is best to emphasize the temporary nature of the invitation and to demonstrate the individual's intention to return to their home country following the visit. If you will provide their financial support while the visitor(s) are in the U.S., include that information as well.

Enrollment Verification Letter

Current students should request an Enrollment Verification Letter from the YSU Penguin Service Center. This letter will confirm that you are a current student at YSU in good standing. The letter will also confirm your estimated graduation date.

Letter from YSU is Not Required

A support letter from YSU is NOT required for the visitor visa and will not be issued. In regards to the visitor visa, the U.S. State Department has confirmed that "Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determine whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa."