Inviting Family to the U.S.

During your studies at YSU, you may want to invite members of your family to visit. Your family member must apply for the appropriate visa status to enter the U.S.

Adding a Spouse or Child (F-2 Dependents)

The spouse and unmarried minor children (under age 21) of the F-1 student may apply for F-2 immigration status.

Inviting Parents or Other Family Members and Friends

Extended family (parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles etc.) and domestic partners are not eligible to come to the U.S. as "dependents" in F-2 status. Extended family and friends must apply for a B-2 Visitor visa, or come to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program.

Contact the International Programs Office to discuss the next steps and to request a letter.