First Time Admission



Please complete an online application for admission. Students are required to pay the application fee by credit card or electronic check.

Apply Now

Test Information

In certain master's programs, test results must be submitted as part of the admission procedure. The Graduate Record Examination and Graduate Management Admission Test are available at Sylvan Learning Center locations. Arrangements for taking the Miller Analogies Test on campus may be made directly with the Testing Office in Room 3101, Beeghly College of Education.


  • A bachelor's degree from a college or university certified by a regional accrediting agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education.
  • Cumulative grade-point average in undergraduate work of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale (some programs require higher GPAs).
  • Satisfactory preparation for the graduate program in which the student wishes to enroll as specified by the department of the major.
  • A test of written/spoken English, which the University reserves the right to request, of any entering graduate student whose primary language is not English.
  • Degree-seeking students having an undergraduate GPA below 2.7 must present a satisfactory score on the general test of the Graduate Record Exam, the Miller Analogies Test, or graduate level subject-specific exam as specified by the department of the major.
  • The applicant is reminded to check specific admission requirements of the program in which he/she wishes to enroll to determine whether there are any additional requirements.
  • Some programs require three letters of recommendation.

Last day to Apply for Graduate Admission - Domestic Applicants

  • Fall semester - July 15
  • Spring semester - December 15
  • Summer semester - April 15

Note: Some programs have earlier deadlines, admit students only once a year, or have a special application procedure.

Applicants must see that one transcript from each college or university attended, except YSU, is sent to the College of Graduate Studies. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the College of Graduate Studies. Students should request transcripts appropriate for graduate admissions. Personal or unofficial transcripts issued to the student or those delivered or sent by the applicant instead of the institution will not be accepted.

Applicants (including U.S. citizens) who attended non-U.S. educational institutions, may need to provide an outside evaluation of their foreign transcripts. Please download the Evaluator Language document** for additional information.

Study Abroad Credit and Transcripts-Original transcripts from the institution where study abroad courses were completed are not required when the number of credits is less than 21 semester hours and the credits have been accepted and are indicated on the official transcript of a regionally accredited college or university.

Applications for admission cannot be reviewed until official transcripts of all previous college or university work are received. The applicant must see that these reach the College of Graduate Studies at the earliest possible date. Omission of information required on the application form will necessitate requests for the additional information and therefore delay processing of the application, so the applicant should provide all requested information in the first submission of materials. As soon as possible after receipt of application materials, the Graduate Dean will notify the student of the action taken on the application and, if the student has been admitted, will provide information on registration procedures.

Provisional Admission

Upon recommendation of Program Director and/or Chair and subject to the approval of the Dean of Graduate Studies, a student may be accepted with provisional admission if his/her undergraduate record shows slight deficiencies compared to the admission requirements of the program to which the student seeks entrance. Students who are admitted with provisional status may be required to make up deficiencies by taking the appropriate tests and/or courses without graduate credit. The academic record of provisional students will be reviewed when 9 semester hours of degree-credit coursework are completed. The Program Director and/or Chair will change the student’s status from provisional to regular if the deficiencies have been met and the student's record justifies such a change. The advisor will report the change to the Dean of Graduate Studies on the Action on Provisional Status form.

**Requires Word or Word Online