Ohio Residency Frequently Asked Questions


As a state-assisted institution, Youngstown State University must comply with the law established by the Ohio legislature and the Ohio Board of Regents (OBR) for verification of residency status and assessing tuition costs.

Students classified as Ohio residents for tuition purposes receive the benefit of a state-supported education—funded largely by the taxpayers of Ohio. The OBR guidelines on residency are meant to exclude people who are in the state of Ohio primarily for the purpose of receiving the benefit of a state-supported education.

To be classified as an Ohio resident for tuition purposes, a student must meet all of the guidelines for residency as defined by the State Legislature and the OBR. The term “Ohio resident” for tuition purposes may differ from other definitions of Ohio residency.



What documentation do I need to submit, to apply for residency?

In general, you must submit: an Application for Verification of Ohio Residency (available from the Undergraduate Admissions Office); a signed form indicating which classification of residency fits your situation best; and all documents required for that particular classification. All requirements and documents are outlined in the residency packet from YSU.  If you have an application in the system at YSU and would like a copy of the residency packet, a PDF is available here.


I have a legal guardian who is an Ohio resident; will I be considered a resident for tuition purposes?

The residency guidelines allow students to be considered residents if they have a legal guardian who is an Ohio resident. However, setting up a legal guardianship with an Ohio resident in order to qualify for residency is not permitted. The burden of proof is upon the student to show that a legal guardianship was not arranged in order for the student to gain residency.

In general, the expectation will be that the legal guardianship has been in effect for at least 12 months, and that the student has been financially dependent upon the legal guardian during that time. The student's relationship and involvement with his or her parents will also be a consideration. Submission of court documents will be required to evidence guardianship.


I lived in Ohio my entire life, except for the past few years; am I still considered a resident?

To determine a person’s eligibility for residency, state guidelines are concerned only with the 12-month period immediately preceding the term which the student is applying for; the cumulative time a person lived in Ohio is not relevant if they have been away from Ohio for more than the 12 months immediately preceding enrollment.


I am working full-time in Ohio. Am I eligible for residency?

If you are employed full-time or part-time and are self-sustaining (you can prove you fully support yourself without any outside sources of income such as parents/family) and pursuing a part-time program of study, you may be eligible for residency.


What if I am employed and being paid cash; am I eligible for residency?

If you are trying to establish residency in Ohio, paying taxes in Ohio is an indicator of your intent to become an Ohio resident. You may or may not be considered a resident; you must meet all of the residency criteria to be eligible.


Will I automatically become an Ohio resident for tuition purposes after I have lived in Ohio for one year?

No. Any student who was a non-resident must apply for reclassification as a resident, and be reviewed again after 12 months to see if you meet the criteria set up in the OBR guidelines.


Are non-United States citizens eligible for residency for tuition purposes?

In some cases they are; Permanent Residents Aliens, Political Asylees, Political Refugees or Visa holders A, E, G, H I, L, N, O, P, R, S, TC, TD or TN are eligible for review as an in-state resident.

Students who are financially dependent upon a spouse or parent must be dependent on a person who is either a US Citizen, PR Alien, Political Asylee or Political Refugee, or holder of an A, E, G, H I, L, N, O P, R, TC, TD or TN visa to qualify for review for in-state residency.

Students with a B, F, J or M visa are not eligible to establish Ohio residency unless they are dependent upon a spouse or parent who is a bona fide Ohio resident (per OBR guidelines).


Can I apply for a prior term and get a refund, if I prove I should have been considered a resident  months ago?

No. State guidelines prohibit retroactive residency decisions. You must apply by the deadline for the semester in question in order to be reviewed for residency that semester.