Frequently Asked Questions

Please go to International Future Students Page for detailed information for all facets of international admissions.

  1. What are the minimum requirements of the English Proficiency test for IELTS?
  2. How do I find international scholarships? What are the minimum requirements for scholarships?
    • Please view our Scholarships page and read thoroughly for details on all available scholarships.
  3. Can my application fee be waived?
    • Youngstown State University (YSU) does not waive the application fee for any individual.
  4. What is the average length of an Undergraduate application decision?
    • Approximately 2-3 weeks.
  5. How much is the ESL Program application fee?
    • For ESL admission only, the application fee is $45.00; for conditional admission, you have to pay $45.00 for undergraduate admission plus $45.00 for ESL admission ($90.00 in total).
  6. How do I pay the non-refundable application fee?
    • For international undergraduate applications, you must pay the non-refundable application fee ($75) before you submit your application through the application portal. If you have difficulty to pay by credit card, you may choose the alternative way by paying International Undergraduate Application Fee through YSU Market Place or using Flywire. After you successfully pay through the alternative way, you will need to contact intadm@ysu.edu to inform our team. We will send you a Promo Code for your to submit your application after we verify your fee payment. 
    • For international graduate applications, the only alternative way is using Flywire to pay the application fee ($120) if you have difficutly to pay it through the application portal. After you successfully pay through Flywire, you will need to contact intgrad@ysu.edu to inform our team. We will send you a Promo Code for your to submit your application after we verify your fee payment. 
    • For ESL and conditional undergraduate applications, please follow the instruction on ESL Admission Page.
  7. How to apply as a transfer international student?
  8. How do I apply as an international freshman?
  9. How to apply for conditional admission if I have not met the language requirement yet?
  10. What is the cost of Tuition?
  11. Do you require WES or NACES member Evaluation report?
    • No, YSU does not require any third-party evaluation.
  12. Do I need a specific score in the English part of the ACT or does just the overall score count?
    • Please note that YSU's international admissions do NOT require SAT/ACT scores unless you are applying for Honors College Scholarships or you are applying as a freshman without TOEFL or IELTS test from an English-Speaking Country listed on the English Proficiency Requirements page.
  13. Do you offer a list of Majors?
  14. Do you offer any scholarship for international transfer students?
    • Yes, please view our Scholarships page and check No. 3 TRANSFER STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS for details.
  15. What is my application status?
    • For undergraduate and graduate applicants, you can check your application status through your application portal
    • For undergraduate applications, you should hear from us in two weeks after your application is marked completed, either asking you to submit additional material or grant you an admission decision. Otherwise, please contact intadm@ysu.edu, we will check for you. 
    • For graduate applicants, your admission decision will be made by several departments. It takes from 2-4 weeks approximately to receive an decision after your application is marked complete. If you have not received any updates 4 weeks after your application is marked completed, please contact intgrad@ysu.edu
  16. Are non-united states citizens eligible for residency for tuition purposes?
    • In some cases they are; Permanent Residents Aliens, Political Asylees, Political Refugees or Visa holders A, E, G, H I, L, N, O, P, R, S, TC, TD or TN are eligible for review as an in-state resident. Students who are financially dependent upon a spouse or parent must be dependent on a person who is either a US Citizen, PR Alien, Political Asylee or Political Refugee, or holder of an A, E, G, H I, L, N, O P, R, TC, TD or TN visa to qualify for review for in-state residency. Students with a B, F, J or M visa are not eligible to establish Ohio residency unless they are dependent upon a spouse or parent who is a bonafide Ohio resident (per OBR guidelines).
  17. What is the procedure for international transfer students' credit transfer?
  18.  How do you calculate GPAs?

       We use in-house GPA conversion guidance for GPA calculations. Our in-house guidance was adapted mostly from AACRAO EDGE and Scholaro

19. How much does my Graduate Assistantship cover?

     Please see Graduate Assistantship/Teaching Assistantship Coverage page.

20. How do I defer my application or admission to a future semester?

Please fill out the International Undergraduate Application/Admission Deferral Request Form. Our team will get in touch with you afterward. Please contact intadm@ysu.edu for any questions. 

21. How do I send my Official Duolingo English Test Score to Youngstown State University if I did not choose YSU before I took the test?

Please check How do I send my Duolingo English Test results to institutions on the Duolingo website.