Frequently Asked Questions


Where can I find Youngstown State University's Title IX Policy? 

You can find our policy at Title IX Policy and Procedures

What should I do if I am a victim of sexual misconduct?

For immediate assistance following a sexual assault, rape, or sexual violence:

  1. Call 911 (Calling 911 from a campus phone will contact the YSU Police Department; 911 from a cell phone will contact the City of Youngstown Police Department)
  2. Contact the YSU Police Department at 330-941-3527
  3. Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Students can seek medical attention on campus at Mercy Health Primary Care at YSU, 330.747.4660 (during regular business hours of 9am to 5pm), any individual may seek medical attention at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital/Medical Center 330.746.7211 (24 hour medical services).
  4. When seeking medical attention, it is important to consider the collection of evidence. The most evidence can be collected at a hospital emergency room within 24 to 48 hours; however, some evidence can be collected for up to 72 hours. You should not bathe or shower, change clothes, douche, brush teeth, urinate, defecate, etc., prior to the exam, and should bring a set of clothes to change into after the exam. Even if you are not sure that you want to file criminal charges, you should consider an evidence exam to collect and store physical evidence in case you later decide to file criminal charges.
  5. You can also contact YSU’s Title IX Coordinator 330-941-4629, or

What can the University do to help me?

Youngstown State University is committed to supporting those affected by all forms of interpersonal violence. Whether you are a survivor or a witness of interpersonal violence, you are entitled to supportive measures which may include a no-contact order, a change in an academic schedule, alternative housing options, access to counseling, or other accommodations. Please contact the Title IX Coordinator to request these or other accommodations.

Can I make an anonymous report?

You can make an on-line report without including your name or the name of the accused at the following site:

  1. The Youngstown State University Police Department at YSU Police or
  2. Student Life/Student Conduct at Student Conduct: Complaint Filing or
  3. The Title IX Coordinator at Title IX Home.

The University's ability to investigate an incident is limited when names are not included in reports; however, making an initial anonymous report does not prevent an individual from choosing to follow-up with additional information in the future, if desired. The University always welcomes additional information after the initial complaint is made.

What happens if I make a report to the Title IX Coordinator?

Reports made to the Title IX Coordinator will be investigated to the extent possible and information may be shared with certain campus administrators, who have a need to know in order to protect the safety of individuals involved and that of the campus community. Reporting to the Title IX Coordinator does not obligate a student to pursue a resolution through the Title IX process, Student Conduct process case through the University system or through law enforcement. In certain situations, the University may initiate the Title IX process or Student Conduct process or take other actions when it is determined to be in the best interest of the student or campus community.

Will my complaint be confidential?

If you want the details of an incident to be kept confidential you may speak with licensed professionals who provide mental-health, religious, or medical services. These individuals have legally protected roles involving confidentiality.

Confidential Services are as follows:

Counseling Services in Kilcawley Center, telephone number 330.941.3737

Mercy Health Primary Care at YSU, 330.747.4660

Employee Assistance Program, telephone number 800.227.6007.

St. Elizabeth’s Hospital/Medical Center, 330.746.7211

24 hour Hotline of the Rape Crisis and Counseling Center, 330.782.3936.

Reporting to the Title IX Coordinator, Deputy Coordinators, or a “responsible” University employee is not confidential but every reasonable effort will be made to protect your privacy as a complaint is reviewed and/or investigated. Responsible University employees are employees who have authority to take action, have a duty to report, or who an individual would reasonably believe has the authority to take action. Responsible University employees include managers, supervisors, directors, assistant or associate directors, faculty members with supervisory or advisory duties over students or employees, resident assistants, program coordinators, coaches, deans and department chairs.

Can I file a complaint with the University and also with the police? Can I do one and not the other?

Yes, you can file a complaint with the University, or with the police, or both.

If I have been sexually assaulted do I have to name my assailant?

The University will not compel you to identify your assailant, but you should understand that the University will be limited in its ability to respond to the allegation if you do not identify the assailant. Regardless of whether you wish to identify your assailant, information you provide will still be helpful to the University; however, you must identify your assailant in order for the University to take disciplinary action against him or her under University Policy and the Student Conduct Process.

If I report my assailant, I am afraid that I will be subject to retaliation from him/her or his/her friends. What kinds of protection can the University provide?

It is a violation of University policy and Title IX to retaliate either during or after the filing of a sexual misconduct complaint. If you believe that you are being harassed or retaliated against in any way as a result of alleging sexual misconduct, you should immediately notify the Title IX coordinator at 330-941-4629.

Will the use of alcohol or other drugs affect the outcome of a sexual misconduct complaint?

When conducting an investigation, the University’s primary focus will be on addressing the sexual misconduct and not on other University policy violations that may be discovered or disclosed. However, the use of alcohol or drugs does not excuse committing sexual misconduct and a person who has been incapacitated through the use of alcohol and drugs (or by any other means) cannot give effective consent to sexual activity.