International Travel

F-1 and J-1 international students must plan for international travel by first reviewing their visa documents. If traveling to a country that is not your home country, you need to confirm if an entry visa is required for you to enter that country. This will depend on your country of citizenship. You must contact the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit for detailed information on what you need to do to apply for an entry visa, should you need one.

Information on traveling abroad is now available to international students on the Study in the States website.

Documents required to re-enter the U.S.

  • Passport valid at least 6 months into the future
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 visa stamp (except for Canadian citizens). Note: you cannot apply for or renew your visa from within the U.S. This can only be accomplished at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.
  • Valid immigration document signed for travel
    • I-20 for F-1 students - signed on page 2 within the past 6 months
    • DS-2019 for J-1 students - signed in the bottom right-hand corner within the past 12 months

Transit through a Third country

Be aware that many countries (including the United States) do not allow visitors to transit through their countries unless they have an entry visa, a transit visa, or meet specific requirements. Before arranging travel that would require transit through a country that is not your home country, review that country's visa policies.

Travel Within the U.S.

There are no restrictions on travel within the U.S. However, IPO recommends that you carry the following documents: