Employment Options

Student Employment

Employment options for international students are limited but available. In most cases, F-1 and J-1 students must obtain specific employment authorization from IPO (and in certain instances U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services), particularly when pursuing off-campus work.

You must obtain permission before beginning employment, even if it is for purposes of fulfilling an internship requirement.

F-1 On-Campus Employment

F-1 students can work on-campus without authorization, according to the following requirements:

  • You are not eligible for any campus jobs classified as work-study positions.
  • You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during official university break and vacation periods.
  • You may not engage in on-campus employment after the program end date listed on your I-20

On campus employment does not need to be related to your field of study and includes work done as a teaching or research assistant as well as jobs in the university library, dormitory dining facilities, laboratories, and administrative offices. On campus employment also includes employment with on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as stores or restaurants located in a University owned building (YSU Barnes & Noble Bookstore, Chartwells dining services, restaurants in the Kilcawley Center and other campus buildings).  Work at Buechner Hall or the off campus apartments is not considered on campus employment.

Finding on-campus employment

The following webpages provide student employment postings; student jobs are also advertised at various locations on campus.

You can search for an on campus job online:

Be sure to only apply to jobs that match your skill sets.  Once you secure an on campus job, you must meet with the Division of Student Success to complete the necessary student employment paperwork. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Students

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization that allows an F-1 student to gain practical experience via an internship or cooperative program that is directly related to the student's program of study. CPT is linked to a specific course, is credit-bearing, and is limited to the specific employer and dates of employment listed on the CPT application. The purpose of CPT is academic, not just for employment purposes and the internship must be an integral part of a student’s degree program. If you are eligible and interested in pursuing authorization, read more about the application for CPT authorization.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 Students

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is the opportunity for F-1 students to apply knowledge gained in their degree program to off-campus work. All work during OPT must be directly related to your level and field of study. OPT is recommended by IPO and authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Normal processing time for this authorization is 60 to 90 days.

There are three types of OPT authorization:

  • Post-Completion OPT -- The most common type of OPT; used after you complete your degree program.
  • Pre-Completion OPT -- Used before the end date listed on your I-20, usually used if CPT is not an option.
  • 24-Month STEM OPT Extension -- Extension of the post-completion OPT period for students with degrees in designated Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics fields.

Academic Training (AT) for J-1 Students

Academic Training (AT) is employment authorization allowing J-1 students to gain practical experience that is directly related to their academic program of study. AT may include, but is not limited to, internships, practicum, cooperative education, and other types of practical experience gained through off-campus employment. If you are eligible and interested in pursuing authorization, read more about the application for CPT authorization.