Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If an answer to your question is not found below, please contact the Office of Research Services (ORS). For more information on many topics mentioned below, consult the PI Handbook and/or an ORS staff member. 



What mailing address should I use for proposals? 

One University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44555-0001. Do not use a building number or other address. 

What's my code?

TIN/EIN:             34-1011998
DUNS Number: 07-313-1237-0000
CAGE Number: 1J6Q8
NAICS Code:     611310
FICE Code:        3145
NCES-IPEDS:    206695

What are YSU's legislation district codes?

U.S. House of Representatives:   OH-013
Ohio Senate:     District 33
Ohio House:      District 58

What is YSU's regulatory assurance information? 

Human Subjects Federal-Wide Assurance Number:     FWA00018057
Animal Subjects USDA Registration Number:      31-R-0123

Cognizant Federal Agency:  United States Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

Who is the Authorized Institutional Official (AIO) for sponsored projects at YSU? 

The Director of Research Services. 

How far in advance of the deadline should I submit my proposal and budget for review?

As soon as you begin developing your project plan, visit our office. All proposals submitted in the University's name must undergo an in-house review at ORS and attain all correct institutional approvals before submission. If you submit your project for review a week or less before the deadline, it may not receive a proper review and all approvals. As a result, your project may not be submitted on time.    



What are YSU's F&A rates? 

26.30% of direct salaries and wages, applicable fringe benefits, materials and supplies, services, travel and up to the first $25,000 of each subaward.

Why do I need to include F&A or indirect costs in my budget? 

Facilities and Administration (F&A) or indirect costs support administrative, clerical, and overhead functions that provide a support system for your sponsored project. F&A reimbursements that YSU receives from a sponsor to cover costs such as depreciation of research buildings and equipment, laboratory utilities, libraries, internet, data transmission and storage, insurance, administrative services, and compliance. Reimbursements for F&A costs are necessary to maintain sponsored projects even if they are not directly attributable to a project.

Where does YSU's F&A rate come from? 

YSU's F&A rate is regularly negotiated with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). 

Where can I find YSU's current operating budget?

Visit the Budget Planning page on the Division of Finance and Business Operations website. 

Where can I find YSU's financial reports? 

Visit the General Accounting page on the Controller's Office website.

Where can I find Banner FOAP codes for my budget? 

Visit the General Accounting page and view the attached documents under "Banner FOAP Information."

Where can I find student salary rates? 

Open the current operating budget PDF on the Budget Planning page. Scroll down to the "Miscellaneous Salary Rates" page, which is usually in one of the appendixes. Its location in the document changes year by year. 

Where can I find fringe benefit rates? 

On the Budget Planning page, open the sub-bullet under the current operating budget, titled "FY__ Fringe Benefit Rates." 

What is cost sharing? 

Cost sharing or matching funds are project costs not paid for by the sponsor, but by the University or an outside entity in support of a project. Committing University cost share to a project requires written justification and various levels of University approval. 

How do I calculate and request supplemental pay? 

Use the Grant-Funded Supplemental Pay form to calculate and request supplemental pay, then attain all required signatures. During the supplemental work, be sure to track your time and effort using the Grant-Funded Supplemental Time & Effort Log. 


Proposal Writing & Preparation 

Who may I contact to review and suggest edits for my proposal, final report, or other sponsored project document? 

Contact us at research@ysu.edu or (330) 941-2377. An ORS staff member will assist you. 



Can I accept an award on behalf of the University?

No YSU personnel—faculty, staff, or students—may commit the University to a grant or contract with an external agency without approval from the YSU associate vice president (AVP) for research. 

The sponsor notified me that my project was awarded. What should I do next? 

Notify ORS immediately of the award. We will negotiate the final terms and conditions with the sponsor, assist you with closing the award transaction, and transfer all relevant documents to Grants Accounting. 

How do I make modifications to my award? 

Determine the type of modification you need to make. Types of modifications can include: budget modifications, SOW changes, personnel changes, and no-cost extensions. The ORS will assist you with determining if the modification is allowable according to sponsor, federal, and University policies, and help you route the modification request to the correct department or division. 

How long should I keep my project records? 

Records of awarded projects should be retained either in physical form or electronically for a minimum of 5 years following the date of the final close out. 

Records of projects not awarded should be retained either in physical form or electronically for a minimum of 1 year following the date that the rejection notice was received. 

If your project becomes subject to audit or any other legal issue during the project period or the retention period, records must be retained until the legal issue is resolved and a final action has occurred plus 5 years. 

Which project documents should I keep for my records? 

Minimum record retention requirements include, but are not limited to: 

  • RFP
  • Application/Submission materials
  • Award announcement
  • Modification records
  • MOUs
  • Subawards, if applicable



What is a subaward? 

A legally-binding executed agreement that transfers a portion of research or substantive intellectual effort of a prime award to another institution or organization. It does not include payments to a contractor or payments to an individual that is a beneficiary of a federal program [2 CFR 200.92].

What are my responsibilities as a PI regarding subcontracts? 

PIs should notify the ORS of their intent to include subawards in their project prior to submission. Once awarded, PIs should monitor and review all sub-recipients' progress on project tasks and milestones and notify the ORS and/or Grants Accounting if any modifications to award terms are needed based on this review.