Grading Scale

YSU does not have a University-wide grading scale. Unless the academic department has a standard grading scale for the course,  the instructor may determine what percentage scale to use in his/her class. (Instructors, please check with your faculty mentor on what grading scale can be used.) The college grade is posted to both the high school and college transcript.

YSU does define grades in the following manner (quoted from the YSU Undergraduate Catalog):

  • The grade of A represents exceptional work in which the student shows that he or she has firmly grasped and achieved the objectives of the course.
  • The grade of B indicates very good work and considerable grasp of the essentials of the course.
  • The grade of C indicates good work and a usable grasp of the essentials of the course.
  • The grade of D indicates a definite, but not necessarily coherent, knowledge of the course.
  • The grade of F indicates that the student has not achieved even a minimum grasp of the essentials of the course. This grade can also result from failure to withdraw officially from a course.

These definitions are taken into consideration when a final grade is determined at the end of a course.

Getting your Grades

Your CCP instructor should provide you (the student) with your final YSU grade. If he/she does not, you can access your unofficial transcript through the YSU portal.

Disputing your Grade or other Academic Grievances

College Credit Plus courses follow the same policy regarding academic disputes that is used with on-campus courses. Below is an excerpt from the YSU Undergraduate Catalog explaining the procedure for students who wish to dispute their grade or wish to file an academic grievance.

Any CCP student who does not feel his/her issue has been resolved after speaking with the instructor should contact the CCP staff as soon as possible. The CCP staff can help you navigate the YSU procedure explained below.

“The Undergraduate Student Academic Grievance Procedure provides students with a formal channel through which complaints concerning academic matters may be heard. A student must attempt to resolve the complaint by first discussing the issue with the faculty member. If not resolved at that level, the student should direct his or her complaint to the department chair and, if the complaint is still not resolved, then to the dean of the college. Complaints not resolved following a discussion with the dean will be considered by an associate provost or designee, who will serve as Judicial Chair. Upon his or her review, the Judicial Chair determines whether the complaint is grievable. IIf the complaint is grievable, it is presented to the Student Academic Grievance Subcommittee. This committee may mandate a grade change only in cases of academic dishonesty or when the faculty member deviates materially from the course syllabus.“
-(YSU Undergraduate Catalog)